MILDRED B. WEST


With unparalleled drive and dedication, Millie West (b.1934) built a legacy for all future collegiate champions. Arriving at the College of William & Mary in 1959, West rose from instructor to full professor, compiled a 208-28-2 record as tennis coach, and skillfully guided the athletics program through the turbulent years of Title IX. During her 17-year tenure as women’s athletic director the program budget increased from $19,000 to more than $1 million.

A tireless advocate for women’s tennis, West was honored with the USTA’s Special Merit Award in 1986. She chaired the Wightman Cup matches in the United States throughout the 1980s, featuring such greats as Martina Navratilova and Virginia Wade. Fulfilling a long-held dream, West crowned her career by spearheading construction of the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center and securing a permanent home for the ITA Women’s Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame.

Career Highlights

  • B.S.’57 Georgia State College for Women; M.A.’59 University of Maryland
  • Head Coach, W&M Women’s Tennis Team 1965-1972, 1975-1980 (202-28-2 record)
  • AIAW Division II Commissioner 1981-1982
  • Director, Mid-Atlantic Tennis Association (MATA) Junior Wightman Cup Matches 1970-80
  • Director, W&M Women’s Athletics 1969-1986; Associate Athletic Director, Men’s and Women’s Athletics 1986-1991
  • Chair, W&M Department of Physical Education 1969-1979
  • Raised more than $2 million for endowment of W&M women’s athletics; $1.5 million for the tennis program
  • Tournament Chair, Wightman Cup Matches 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989
  • Member, USTA Wightman Cup/Federation Cup Committee 1986-1990; Federation Cup Committee 1997-present; Intercollegiate Tennis Committee 1987-present
  • Selected for the USTA Educational Merit Award 1986
  • MidAtlantic Tennis Association Special Award of Merit 1987
  • Alumni Achievement Award, Georgia College 1988
  • Awarded Professor Emerita and Honorary Alumna Status, College of William & Mary 1991
  • Sports Information Directors Distinguished Service Award 1992
  • Chair of the Building Committee, McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center; instrumental in raising $4.2 million for construction and operations; building dedication was in 1995
  • Established the ITA Women’s Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame; Committee Chair and Curator 1991-present
  • Williamsburg Community Health Foundation Founding Board Member 1996-2005; Executive Board 1998-2005
  • Member, Williamsburg Garden Club; President 2000-2002
  • Passed Member of the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame Executive Board and Selection Committee
  • Elected to the International Lawn Tennis Club of the USA 1998
  • Elected Honorary Member of Mortar Board and ODK, College of William and Mary
  • USPTA Member, Professional Level
  • Williamsburg Community Foundation, 2006 to present
  • Williamsburg Advisory Boards: WHRO, Public Radio; and Sentara Regional Hospital